If you were to open my wallet,
you would find a dozen fortune cookie messages tucked inside the side panel.
I have grown fond of saving all of the fortunes
from the cookies I have opened in the past few years.
Consider them like collector’s coins.
Except they are paper.
Inside a cookie.
Some range from thoughtful:
“Your uniqueness is more than an outward appearance.”
to completely not as thoughtful:
“Eat your 5 fruits and veggies every day.”
It’s tradition when the cookies are placed on the table
to scramble them around and allow your dining companion
to choose which cookie they are drawn to.
This way, it is an assurance that the message they receive
is the message that was intended just for them.
I am a firm believer that the message chooses you.
And so because fortune cookies hold a dear place in my heart,
(well, the messages really more so than the cookies–
I’ve never really enjoyed eating the cookies),
I thought it would be a fun and fortunous thing
to end this year with a bunch of fortune cookies for you,
my dear friends,
so you, too, can collect and hoard the messages in your wallets.
Gluten-free and Vegan Fortune Cookie Recipe
Makes 10 cookies, adapted from Paula Deen
**Have your fortune messages written and cut out before you begin!**
- 1 Tb Ener-G egg replaces plus 4 Tbs warm water, mixed until frothy
- 1/2 tsp almond extract
- 1/2 c. Bob’s Red Mill all purpose gluten free flour
- 1/3 c. sugar
- 2 Tb water
- pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Combine all ingredients together in a small bowl.
- Spoon 1 Tb of batter onto a well greased HEAVY and/or FLAT cookie sheet (this will save you from heart palpitations! You NEED a cookie sheet that will not twerk in the heat, unless you want your cookies to either combine together and/or be shaped like a rabbit). Make sure they are THIN circles (3-4″ round). I had to do 1 cookie at a home because…well, you don’t wanna know what happened for the first 4 attempts…
- Bake for 8 minutes or until brown along the edges.
- Remove from heat, using a spatula, remove from cookie sheet. IMMEDIATELY: Fold cookie like a taco. Put message inside. Holding in place, dent the bottom middle onto a coffee mug and put into a muffin tin to keep shape.
So go ahead and make yourself a batch of fortune cookies.
The fortune message just might hold the key
to your New Year in 2012.
(The best part is that you are in control of writing all the messages
so this just might be your year after all!)
Wishing you a very Happy New Year
and Good Fortune to all!