The Perfect Waffle
My roommate’s eyes widened as the brilliant idea came to her mind as we stood in the kitchen. “I have THE best idea! You know what we should do Cara???”
Okay pause right here; allow me to first interject a little backgroud knowledge.
I am learning that anytime my roommate uses the word “we” while we are either in the kitchen or simply talking about food, she actually means “you”; me, Cara. So let me translate: As my roommate and I were standing in the kitchen she turned to me and said, “You know what you should do tomorrow, Cara?”
“You should totally make waffles for breakfast!”
Translation: “I’m going to need breakfast tomorrow and I personally don’t want to make anything, so I think I could really go for one of your waffles in the morning!”
Thanks to my roommate’s encouragement, I ended up making one of the best batches of my ultimate breakfast food. But pride comes before the fall because as I sat at the table this morning, ruminating for 20 minutes over the fact that these were seriously the best gluten-free and vegan waffles I have ever made (quite possibly in the history of mankind as well), I realized that I had left one of the waffles sitting in the iron for that entire time. It gave a very new meaning to extra crispy.
Just because you can throw down a mean breakfast doesn’t mean that you should burn your house down because of it. The end.
Gluten, egg, sugar, and dairy-free
Makes 4 round waffles
- 1/2 c. sorghum flour (Authentic Foods brand)
- 1/2 c. brown rice flour (Authentic Foods brand)
- 1/2 c. oat flour
- 1/4 c. arrowroot powder
- 1/4 c. potato starch
- (OR: 2 c. all purpose gluten-free flour mix)
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 3/4 c. rice milk
- 3 Tb oil
- 1 Tb flaxseed meal + 3 Tbs water (mixed and set for 5 minutes)
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- In a medium bowl, combine flours and starches together with baking powder and salt.
- Make a well in the center of the bowl. Pour remaining ingredients inside the well.
- Mix until fully combined. Allow to sit for 5 minutes while the waffle iron heats up.
- Heat as directed by your waffle iron.