Creative Post Title.
Close your eyes if you hate hearing about the weather because this girl is about to go full-blown weather status on you.
It seems as if I need to write Mother Nature another friendly note.
Dear Mother Nature,
Hey. It’s me, your favorite person. I have another weather question for you:
WHAT IS THE DEAL??? People are going to think I am crazy because I am making soup every week of summer!
This area I live in is a strange one. Summer is about 2 months behind here. It usually isn’t until August when it begins to really warm up. By September, it is super hot, not to mention wildfire season begins. So you would imagine my surprise that the windchill as of late is freezing up my boogers. It has been COLD. Like, December-is-here cold (which for most of you is actually cold but for me and where I live, it’s about 60 degrees cold. Brrrrrr!!! Break out the long johns!)
So you can only guess what dinner was last night? SOUP! **cheers and applause** Ladies and gentlemen, hold your applause–I am a person just like you. But not just any soup, a bowl of smoky, spicy tortilla soup (not actually spicy, Brooke–just spice-full) 🙂
Tortilla Soup Recipe
- 3 c. vegetable broth
- 2 cans beans (I used black and pinto beans)
- 2 small zucchinis, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can spicy tomatoes
- 1 Tb tomato paste
- 1 lime
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp chipotle
- 1/4 tsp cayenne
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- 1/4 c. cilantro
- red bell pepper, tortilla chips and avocado to garnish
- Saute onion and garlic in a medium pot on medium heat with 2 Tbs oil until translucent (no more than 5 minutes)
- Add all the spices and stir until it is combined in pot. Add zucchini and stir as well until spices are covering. Cook for 1 minute.
- Add the beans, tomato sauce, paste and veggie broth. Bring to a boil, then turn down heat to low and simmer uncovered 15 minutes.
- Add the juice of 1 lime and cilantro. Mix into soup. Turn off heat and serve immediately.
- Garnish with red pepper, avocado and tortilla chips.