My personal nighttime soap opera…
Me and gluten-free and vegan baking are like Sammy and Ronnie from “The Jersey Shore.” One minute I love it. The next minute, we are fighting. Everyone in the house seems to be walking on eggshells anytime me and GF baking make up and are back together again because they never know if it is going to be a good day or a bad day. I never know what to expect either. It’s like GF/V Baking is on steroids (allegedly) and I never know when the next outbreak is (come on, Ronnie, we all know you do it…)
So last night was one of those moments. All day yesterday was one of those moments; it just came to a head last night.
Here is what happened:
- Me: What do you mean you can’t stay together; that you fall apart with me?
- GF/V: I don’t know what you are doing wrong.
- Me: What I’M doing wrong??? Maybe it’s you! Did you ever think of that? I never had any problems like this when I was with gluten!!!
- GF/V: Well, other girls have absolutely no problem with me so it must be YOU.
- Me: Oh yeah *bleeping* *bleep*?
- GF/V: YEAH!
(((This is where I start throwing GF/V’s suitcase and clothes out of my room)))
- Me: Maybe I should look on the internet and see who you have been *bleeping* hanging around with, you *bleep*
- GF/V: Go the *bleep* ahead!
(((This is where I look on the internet and see the smiling faces of other women with GF/V, claiming that being together is the easiest thing. Now I get even more angry, which inevitably becomes my fuel to keep trying!)))
- Me: Just for that, we are staying together!!!
- GF/V: FINE!
- Me: FINE! I will see you in the morning!
(((I wake up, whip up a beautiful batch of pancakes and we kiss and make up and act like nothing happened…until the next time–which happens a good 3x a week!))
But I’m glad this happens to me because it makes me fight. It gives me the fuel to master it (or at least make a good pancake!) I will never lie to you and tell you that I think gluten-free and vegan baking is easy. It just takes persistence. And being gentle on yourself. And the willingness to try, try, try again!
Buckwheat Pancakes Recipe
- 3/4 c. sorghum flour
- 1/2 c. tapioca starch
- 1/2 c. buckwheat
- 3 Tbs Garfava flour (Authentic Foods brand) **optional
- 1 1/2 c. hemp milk
- 1 Tb sugar
- 2 Tbs oil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp xantham gum
- Mix all the ingredients in a blender until smooth.
- Cook on a skillet and devour.